Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Give a man a fish

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. I finish this quote of the week with “Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.”  However, that was not what I read. The rest goes “Take away his fish and tell him he is lucky to be alive. He will find a way to catch another fish for you to take tomorrow.” This is apparently an old dictator’s proverb. I may not completely agree with our government, but imagine the hell people live through every day in places like Korea. We elect the officials that represent us in the government, who are supposed to do what we as a whole want. Granted that corruption and greed doesn’t get in the way, something else will. Hell, we can just vote out that person and new with the new, right? I sometimes wish that I lived in the Middle Ages, do you think I wanted to be some lowly peasant? No, I wanted to be at the top of the food chain. Peasants don’t get a say, but then again neither did women. So I guess my ideal time travel trip would compose of being a prince or king. Kings told people to jump and they’d ask how high. I would hate to be in modern times and under the same idea. Glad to be American is a simple phrase and we sometimes have no idea how good we have it, until it’s gone. I may not agree with all the bloody fights we did in the name of America, but boy do I reap the benefits now. If Native Americans won more than half the battles, my neighborhood would most likely still be wilderness. History is strange, but those events shaped the future and present into what we enjoy now. Granted, some of us hate aspects of it, but would we go back to the Middle Ages to be trapped in that time frame, never to escape?

No comments:

Post a Comment