Tuesday, December 13, 2011

American Dream

Nowadays, I've noticed that people aren't like they were about 200 years ago. Land was everything. Land was wealth, and people worked their hands to the bone for it. Even when wage slave came around, they dreamed of raising enough to get a farm or even their own shop. However, some dreams aren't easy to reach. When the suburban dream came around, people still expected the husbands to work in the city, while wives tended to children. Back then, 2.5 children was the average for the dream. Preferably, it was an older boy and a younger girl. Looking at today, I find it hard to believe. I heard about a homeless women who has FIFTEEN KIDS! She is suing the more money to support her children. What is the most twisted thing is that the father of ten of the children is in prison and she hasn't even bothered to marry him. Reality has slipped away from Americans. It's truly sad when the basic dream for your child is for them to graduate high school, and nothing else. I'm not saying that some people don't expect their children to attend college and become a doctor, but the reality is that we have suck so low that we cannot believe that. I mean, my parents want me to graduate and attend college, but they have done nothing to really support that. It has fallen on my shoulders, where I have total and no control over it. I never got a childhood because my mother keep giving birth to children right after another. This is so that I had to take care of my younger siblings before I was even out of diapers. I want more out of my life and I'm willing to put pride aside to get it. I'm not going to cut throats or anything, but I want to stand on my own two feet. I want to be proud and yet grateful of the life I build for me and my family without being a leech.

No comments:

Post a Comment